The CHEEKY Blog

The Way I See It...

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

In Remembrance

I learnt recently that 2 people who have been a part of my life have passed on.

Raju Patel was my boss and friend since 2000. He is one of the pioneer producers/directors of Indian descent in Hollywood. He was an extremely courageous man, brave in putting his plans into action, and also a caring husband and father. Although we have not been in touch for a long time, he and his family has always been close to my heart.

He took a chance on me in 2000 when, as a fresh grad, I went to LA to hunt for a job, and he engaged me to be his personal assistant. He appreciated me alot and offered me a work visa for 5 years in the US, and he even said "You will be a Hollywood producer some day". Every cell in my body wanted to take the offer but unfortunately, I decided to cut short my dream of Hollywood and move back to Singapore because of my mom's health. During my time with him, he taught me the business of Hollywood filmmaking, and took care of me.

He was a father figure to me when I was in LA. I will miss him dearly. He was 45, and is survived by his wife Dimple and 2 kids. I still have no contact with his family, and I heard they are back in India. I wish them all the best.

Read more about Raju at http://www.rediff.com/movies/2005/oct/13raju.htm and http://www.filmbuffonline.com/InRemembrance/RajuPatel.htm

I also learned, with great regret, that Pat Morita has passed away in Las Vegas in November at the age of 73. Although I did not know him personally, i grew up watching him in The Karate Kid.

I remember Pat from my teenage days of watching him as the wise and patient Mr Miyagi.

"Wax on, wax off" he would say to Daniel-san. I had a VHS copy of the movie that I would come back home after school and watch the movie everyday for 2 months.

"Fighting not good... but if must fight, win" he would philosophically say with a hint of childish defiance.

The last scene when he takes Daniel-san to the karate competition and Daniel-san executing the crane technique with one busted leg still brings back goose bumps for me.

They taught me that with hard work, the little guy can win too.

Goodbye Raju.
Goodbye Pat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home